In 1981, Margy Waldrip, a retired Spanish teacher, was studying Spanish with 3 ladies who were planning to study & live with a family in central Mexico. They decided to go to Mexico to research schools before selecting one.
They invited Margy to go along. She was extremely happy for this opportunity. She always had wanted to practice her Spanish in Mexico. The other three ladies made all the plans, including traveling from Nuevo Laredo on the Mexican train…AND staying at Casa Gonzalez, a wonderful bed & breakfast in Mexico City near the American Embassy. Margy’s experience there became the inspiration for HER bed and breakfast. Casa Gonzalez was in a great location, the host chatted with the guests & gave them great “tourist tips”. Casa Gonzalez’ rooms were clean & the food was delicious & it was fun to visit with the interesting guests.
Margy’s decision to open her home as a bed and breakfast was cemented by attending a seminar in 1987 at St. Mary’s University sponsored by Marguerite Swanson, the owner of the Bed and Breakfast Society of Texas in Houston, Texas. And as they say, “The rest is history!” The Historic Kuebler Waldrip Haus Bed and Breakfast
has three buildings: The Kuebler Waldrip Haus building opened in 1987, The Danville Schoolhouse was added in 1990 & the Deer Haven Cottage was added in 2000. The property where the Historic Kuebler Waldrip Haus Bed and Breakfast
is located was originally part of the original Veramendi Spanish land grant and later the property was owned by Francois Guilbeau. Francois Guilbeau was a French wine merchant who is credited with saving the French wine industry with Texas Mustang Grapes in the 1870’s. Andreas and Katherine Pape of Hanover, Germany built the home and lived here. Willie and Olga Kraft were the second German pioneer family to own the property from 1910 to 1974. In 1974, Margy and Larry Waldrip and their three sons, Dibrell, Darrell and David purchased the property. The Waldrip family has lovingly restored the beautiful historic home. During the restoration, the original 17-21 inch limestone rock walls were uncovered from 4 layers that included sheetrock, wallpaper, horizontal shiplap boards, with a layer of the original 1847 adobe plaster with some of the original straw still there. Beautiful white Comal County limestone rock was uncovered revealing the original walls. This room is now our dining room where breakfast is served. The Danville Schoolhouse building
was purchased at auction from the Comal ISD by Margy Waldrip in 1990 & moved to the property to be added as part of the Historic Kuebler Waldrip Haus Bed and Breakfast. The Danville School, an original 1863 one-room schoolhouse, was named for Daniel Murchison, a Texas Ranger. It retains the original wood floors & walls & now has 4 wonderful rooms each with a private bath. The Kuebler Waldrip Haus B&B is located on 43 Texas Hill Country acres & there are porches & chaise lounges for guests to enjoy. Here is some additional history on the Danville name
from the Texas State Historic Association Online: “DANVILLE, TEXAS (Comal County). Danville, on Dry Comal Creek and the Old San Antonio Road some eight miles southwest of New Braunfels in southern Comal County, was settled in 1848 when William Bracken issued power of attorney to John James to sell land granted to Bracken in 1847. Several German families farmed the area. A post office opened in William Klaus's store in 1875 and operated until 1894, when a rural delivery route from New Braunfels was established. The Danville school opened in 1863 and operated until after World War II, when it was consolidated with other districts in southern Comal County to form the Comal Elementary School.” The Deer Haven Cottage
building used to be the barn, built from surplus pre-fabricated walls from a nearby bank. The Deer Haven Cottage name was inspired from the pet deer named Angel. She sat inside in the living room area during the construction. She was a real pet. The area that used to be cattle pens now has a covered porch with chairs and a fenced area for small pets. Deer Haven Cottage has 950 sq. ft., three bedrooms, one bath with a Jacuzzi and a full kitchen. Originally, the barn and pens were used for storage of feed and the 4-H and FFA cattle projects. All moneys raised were used to help pay for college. A record of the Waldrip boys’ success can be seen from the number of cattle trophies and belt buckles from summer practice shows, Comal County Fair and major Texas shows that include the San Antonio Livestock Show and Rodeo and Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. A story of the church rocks and the jailhouse rocks
of New Braunfels, Texas and Comal County: Some say that history has a way of repeating itself, rock by rock, by rock. After the Larry Waldrip family purchased and moved out to the Willie and Olga Kraft ranch in 1974, some limestone rocks were purchased from James Prewitt of New Braunfels, and later moved to the property. These rocks were a mixture of recycled limestone rocks from two wonderful historic New Braunfels buildings: the Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic Church and the Comal County Jailhouse. Some of the rocks have some of the jail bar holes and others have carvings. These rocks are from the Comal County Jailhouse. Some of the other rocks have a distinct rough tone, criss-cross or texture on the old sides of the rocks. These rocks are from the Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic Church, and there are rocks at the church with some of the same markings. The question is, if walls could talk what stories would they tell? These rocks do not talk!! Another story about the church rocks and the jailhouse rocks
occurred when the three Waldrip children were preparing the rocks for the building process. Some of existing outside landscape walls were built using the Comal County Church and Jailhouse rocks in their original sizes. The original rocks were too big to use, too thick or too long. A plan was devised to cut the rocks six inches thick, six inches tall and different lengths. With the rocks this size could be used to build the walls and the rock fireplace. The Waldrip boys’ did this for many months and looked forward to being finished with this project. Two-a-day football practice:
One hot afternoon in August after cutting many rocks with a rock saw, the Waldrip boys showed up early for the afternoon 2-a-day football practice. The coach wanted to know, “Why are you boys showing up so early for football practice?” They told him, “By being early, we were able to take a break from cutting rocks and we figured that football practice was better than cutting rocks.” They were happy to ask him to come out to the ranch to show him what they were doing BETWEEN football practices. From this day forward, he and the other coaches understood why they were early. Some guests ask, “From where did the names Kuebler and Waldrip come?
The Kuebler name is German, Margy’s maiden name. Her parents were Frank and Betty Kuebler of Houston, Texas. The Waldrip name came from Larry’s parents, Dibrell and Lois Waldrip from Staples, Texas.
Article from Houston Chronicle Travel
A House Full of History
Learn more about New Braunfels.